Monday, December 3, 2012

Champagne-Champagne Toast

I know that I am not connected in the underground music scene.  Trying to discover something new though this practice can be difficult and, in my opinion, the talent will rise eventually to the point where someone will pass them off to me to give a listen.  I think that a lot of the underground music culture has to do with the fun of discovery.  The dedication one must have to keep searching far exceeds the amount of effort I am willing and able to put in at this point in my life just so I can be the first to have heard of a band.  Just to be clear, I am not knocking this practice.  I think this is a very pure way to discover music and I commend all that do it....it's just not happening for me.

So for those of you who are in touch with the underground music scene, particularly Seattle Hip-Hop, Champagne Champagne would be nothing new to you.  For the rest of us this is nothing shy of a surprise new group with a ton of talent.



I'ts a breath of fresh air in the rap industry mostly because their style is not overproducing the shit out of tracks.  And even though their album is short the range and creativity stands out.  They rhyme about peer pressure, The Apocalypse and The Simpsons.  Even the references are solid and entertaining like the comparison of explosive gang violence on a corner to the combination of soda and pop rocks.

I am not going to put links in here in an effort to have you go out and buy their 2012 album Private Party.  Seriously, if you like hip-hop it's a cheap album with 7 solid songs and these guys deserve the $6 that most of us will likely spend on an overpriced beer at a bar in the near future.

If you don't believe me and want to see their skills for yourself check out their appearance on the Black Cab Sessions which features a live performance of a track from this album....while in the back of a moving cab....

No comments:

Post a Comment