Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Playlist of the Week - Slapped in the Face by New Music

Nothing new that really excited me came out in the month of January or February so I thought it would be a slow month of music.  And then music decided to wake me out of my negative state with some incredible albums.  Here is my album playlist of the week":

Clutch - Live In Flint Michigan
In an effort to not be repetitive (I was heavy handed with Clutch when cooking up my last playlist) I will not go to far past saying this is the best live album I own.  I my mind Clutch has always been better live than in their studio recordings.  This double set album only cements that belief as

The Sword - Apocryphon
Fantastic album.  Frank has raved about this band for awhile and it was a massive fail on my part to wait this long.  I had a two week addition where all I did was eat, sleep and breathe this album.  The sound is almost like a modern day Black Sabbath.  Really killer stuff.

John the Conqueror (Self Titled)
Was hanging out in a bar in Philly when I heard these guys perform.  Great blues rock combination that reminds me a lot of the Black Keys.  So far this is one of the most unexpected, great music surprises of the new year.

Champagne Champagne - Swine? My Brother
In a prior post I spoke vary highly of their Private Party album and this one lived up to the same standard.  Interesting enough Pearl Dragon defers the lead unlike the prior album where he has more verses. 

Karma to Burn - Almost Heathen & The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight
Two phenomenal instrumental albums.  One is slightly heavier than the other but both are excellent to the point where I can't comprehend where one song ends and another begins anymore.  No matter which I put on it feels like one constantly amazing jam session.

And there has to be a floor:
Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C
 - Yep, I should have know better.  All I can say is, it is exactly what you would think it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment